Map/Chart > Bermuda
Bermuda East by Thomas Hurd
The Eastern part of the Bermuda Islands surveyed for the Lords of the Admiralty
|Date||1789 - 1797|
|Hydrographer/Surveyor/Artist:||Lieutenant Thomas Hurd, RN|
|Size Of Original:||w 77" x h 84"|
|Paper Type||Hahnemuhle German Etching 310gsm, Omnijet Superior Matt Graphic 180gsm (Eighth size)|
This is the eastern half of a larger survey, produced by Lieutenant (later Captain) Thomas Hannaford Hurd, RN. It was the first definitive hydrographic work on the Island and was directly responsible, thanks to its accuracy, for the expansion of British interest in Bermuda and also for the development of the naval base at Ireland point on the Island. It is full of great hydrographic and cartographic detail and is beautifully coloured. This section of the survey includes a beautiful view of the eastern end of the island from David's Head to Catherine Point from the anchorage 'The Hole' or 'Jervis's Roadsted' - marked 'A'.
After the loss of her mainland colonies in North America in 1781 Bermuda took-on an ever greater level of importance to the British. The location of the Island, close to mainland America and midway between the West Indies and Halifax, provided Britain with a base from which to protect her interests and trade-routes with her remaining colonies.