Map/Chart > The Bahamas
Little and Pelican Harbours, Great Island of Abaco, Bahamas
A detailed and delightfull manuscript by Anthony De Mayne, Admiralty Surveyor
|Hydrographer/Surveyor/Artist:||Anthony De Mayne|
|Size Of Original:||w 15" x h 21.5"|
|Paper Type||Hahnemuhle German Etching 310gsm|
Read the full Chart History here:
This beautiful survey, drawn by Anthony De Mayne, includes a great deal of both historic and hydrographical detail. It was made in 1817 as part of a greater survey of the Outer Abaco islands being carried out for the British Admiralty by De Mayne.
Perhaps the single most obvious aspect of this survey are the names given to the Islands at the time of surveying. Little Harbour Key is now of course Lynyard Cay and the islands which surround Pelican Harbour on De Mayne's survey are now called Sandy, Cornish and Channel Cays. Much is made by De Mayne of the island or ‘a remarkable square rock called Channel Rock’ just to the North of 'Little Harbour Key’ (Lynyard Cay) which marks the entrance into what was then Pelican Harbour as defined by the ring of cays. He gives the landmark a Latitude of 26º. 22’, 10” and a Longitude of 76º, 54’, 0”. Out of interest and with the benefit of modern satellite technology the rock is in fact at 26º, 39’, and 76º, 97’ (see note A below). De Mayne goes on to state that fresh water and wood may be procured from these small islands, although none of them were inhabited.